At Vivo Health Pharmacy, we understand the day-to-day management of your diabetes can be complicated. Diabetes is a chronic disease marked by high levels of sugar in the blood. It can be caused by too little insulin, resistance to insulin, or both. Insulin is what allows glucose to enter the body’s cells to provide energy.
There are three types of diabetes:
- Type 1 diabetes, in which the body’s immune system attacks and destroys the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas. Type 1 diabetes requires treatments of insulin. It may also be called insulin-dependent or juvenile diabetes.
- Type 2 diabetes, which results from the body’s inability to properly use insulin. This means the body struggles to move blood sugar into the cells. This is the most common form of diabetes and is also referred to as non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.
- Gestational diabetes, which affects pregnant women.
How do I check my blood sugar? What’s the right angle to inject my insulin pen? How do I read the numbers on my glucometer? At Vivo Health, we understand the day-to-day management of your diabetes can be complicated. Our specialized pharmacists provide one-on-one support, answering your questions about medications and treatment.
Access to Specialty Medications
We provide fast and convenient access to a wide range of treatments. Need your specialty medications now? We also provide free home delivery to patients in our service area.
While most health insurance plans cover our services, we do provide special assistance to those without health insurance. For additional information, please visit our financial assistance page or contact us.
If you have health insurance, we recommend contacting your insurance carrier to determine coverage.
At Vivo Health Pharmacy, we understand that finding resources and joining supportive communities are key to your diabetes treatment. Here are some of the tools and support groups we recommend:
- Diabetes Disease Management: This program is intended for patients with difficult-to-manage cases of diabetes. Through face-to-face visits and regular telephone appointments, a nurse disease manager will help you control your diabetes, offering assistance with medication management, scheduling appointments, and even transportation.
- Diabetes Goal Tracker: The American Association of Diabetes Educators developed this free mobile app to help patients set diabetes management goals and pursue them.
- Diabetes Wellness: Accredited by the American Association of Diabetes Educators, this program offers tools for managing diabetes and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
- Diabetic Foot Care: Diabetes can lead to nerve and blood vessel damage, particularly in the legs and feet. Proper foot care can be critical to preventing serious infections and even amputations. Northwell’s podiatry services provide specialized care, regularly checking feet for issues and educating patients and their caregivers about proper foot care.
- Diabetic Wound Care: Wound care specialists at Northwell treat the slow-to-heal wounds that many people with diabetes experience. The Northwell staff has specialized training in the latest wound care therapies, technology, and medication.
- Gestational Diabetes Care: At these one-on-one sessions with a diabetes educator, you’ll learn more about checking your glucose levels, taking medications, healthy eating, and what to expect after delivering your baby.
- Healthy Living: This six-week workshop will teach you how to better manage your diabetes. Topics include creating an exercise plan, feeling less tired, healthy eating, and making informed decisions on treatment options.
- In It Together: The American Diabetes Association, in partnership with John Hancock, created this multimedia resource to help individuals with Type 2 diabetes learn how to live with their diagnosis and adopt daily routines for a healthier lifestyle.
- Nutritional Counseling and Diabetes: This program advises diabetes patients on healthy eating habits, emphasizing the importance of proper nutrition in managing the disease.
- Weight Management: Northwell’s weight management services help participants set and achieve weight loss goals and make healthy lifestyle choices. Registered dietitians guide you through creating an individualized plan and offer tips on being more active and dealing with stress.